Thursday, December 9, 2010

The snow gods are angry

Or happy, I really don't know. What I do know is that the snow gods have been very, very busy the last few days. In case you have not heard, the Syracuse area received over 40 inches of snow between Sunday and last night. The official gauge at Syracuse Hancock airport measured 43.2 inches.

That is a lot of snow. And while school in B'ville was delayed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, it did not close. Not even the morning, I think it was Tuesday, when we opened the back door to see one foot of fresh snow overnight.

Our morning routine has been the same all week. James gets ready for work and I get dressed, then we go out to rearrange the snow in the driveway. Thank goodness we bought the snowblower (aka to me as The Beast) last month when it was 60 degrees out. James runs the snowblower while I use the shovel and once he gets it cleared enough to get his car out of the driveway, he leaves and I finish the job. Oy vey, it is hard work, even with The Beast. I end up shedding my coat and shoveling in just my jeans and sweatshirt, appropriate since I am sweating with the effort of moving snow. Needless to say, muscles in my body about which I previously knew nothing have made their presence known. In a BIG way.

Yesterday morning we dug out as usual. James went on to work and I had just finished clearing the drive and sidewalks, and had put away The Beast when the plow went by. The foot of the driveway and part of the sidewalk were then covered again. The snowplows are doing a great job keeping up with the snowfall, but why couldn’t I have a clear drive for at least an hour? I nearly cried with frustration.

What is really odd about all this snow is that up until last Wednesday, just eight days ago, we had zero snow on the ground. From zero to 43.2 in just seven days!

1 comment:

JBull said...

We wondering if you were getting all the snow. The way the article in the Dayton Daily News read schools in that area had canceled. Maybe this will be all you get for the season.

Uncle Vernon and Jill