
Our old house! It has been a long week and a half since we closed but we are thrilled to be in our new old house. The house was built in 1912 but sat empty for several years and had deteriorated badly. The person from whom we bought the house acquired it in its derelict condition and rehabbed it. So although the house is old, it has new windows, a new roof, a new furnace, a new water heater, new bathrooms and a new kitchen.
One of my favorite features of the house is the side porch, which faces the cemetery across the street and the Seneca River beyond. Come spring and summer, we will spend a lot of time on the porch. I adore that we have a river view from three sides of the house and I can hear the geese and ducks as they fly to/from the river.
Last Saturday in the midst of unpacking boxes that the movers delivered and schlepping stuff over from the apartment, we had a knock on our front door. There stood a little old lady, who introduced herself, welcomed us to the neighborhood and handed us a pan of fresh baked brownies. Her name is Odette and she lives about seven houses away from us, she has been married for 50+ years to the same man and her house was built in 1860 - we learned that in the first five minutes of speaking with her! But we were so touched by her kindness that I nearly cried; never in our five years of living in Georgia did any neighbor do anything, well, neighborly.
We are tired, sore, our fingers are cut and our bodies are bruised from the physical efforts of moving and unpacking, but every time I drive down the street and see our house, I smile. It is good to be home.


I will post interior photos of the house once we have more things in place.
Note: It snowed last night and has snowed off and on all day, but we only have about three inches. Nothing like Buffalo received midweek!
1 comment:
I am so very happy for you :) May you have many many years of happiness in your new home.
Post a Comment