The last seven days have been physically, mentally and emotionally tiring. As I mentioned before, I was seated on a medical malpractice case last Monday. I don't want to ever do anything like that again. We heard opening statements on Monday afternoon, followed by three full days of testimony. I won't go into details but I now know far more about bowel injuries than I ever wanted to know.
The defense rested late on Thursday afternoon. We heard closing statements on Friday morning, then formally received the case for deliberation just after lunch. We found for the defendant - the doctor - on the Informed Consent violation, but found for the plaintiff on the Standard of Care violation...awarded limited damages, however. It was a good group of people on the jury and even when we disagreed, it was respectful and thoughtful.
We were determined to work things out on Friday; the plaintiffs and defendant both deserved an answer and we didn't want to come back this morning, so we stayed a little late. I left the courthouse at 6:30 pm, drove home and changed clothes, and we were in the car headed to the Cub Scout campout before 7 pm.
Camping was, well, camping: buggy, muggy and dirty. See my account of last fall's campout if you want to know what it was like, only this time it did not rain.
I can't tell you how lovely it was to wake up this morning not in a tent, and to not go into courthouse to hear testimony. It will take me several days to catch up on housework, paperwork and errands, and to get my psyche back into alignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment