Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How'd I do?

I do not make New Year's resolutions, but last year I made a "this year I would like to" list. I thought it might be fun and helpful to see how I did.

In 2008, I said I wanted to:
  • Learn to knit. And I did! And I have had so much fun both knitting and making knitting friends. I just wonder why I waited so long.
  • Speak more positively about living here, and to find things to like rather than focus on the many things I don't like. I probably don't speak any more positively about living here but neither do I speak any more negatively - I am Switzerland. But since we have come to the realization that this is not the place we want to live long-term and that our residence here is temporary (even if "temporary" means years), it has become easier to accept. But I still want out of Georgia!
  • Be more patient with my mother and brother. I love them both dearly but they both try my patience, for different reasons. I made progress, but I can do better.
  • Make bagels. There is not a decent bagel to be found out here in greater metropolitan Hooterville and I get tired of driving into Atlanta to get one. For some stupid reason that eludes me, I did not even attempt making bagels - perhaps a "to do" again for 2009!
  • Grow three inches, since I don't think I am actually going to lose fifteen pounds! Okay, so maybe that isn't a serious one...but it was! And I did lose fifteen pounds and so far, I have kept it off. Yay for me!
  • Be more active. I hate exercise with every fiber of my being but I understand that I need to get moving to be healthier. I totally missed the mark on this one - I am still as active as a lazy slug.
  • Write more. This blog is a small start, but I need to be disciplined about putting my thoughts into words, if only for my enjoyment. While I have not expanded beyond the blog, I have kept up with it and really enjoyed having an outlet for my thoughts and phrases.

All in all, not too bad although there is certainly room for improvement. Stay tuned for the 2009 "to do" list.

No comments: