Thursday, September 4, 2008

Good news, bad news

The good news is that I have lost 15-18 pounds since January. Why the range of 3 pounds? If you are a woman, you know that your weight fluctuates based on the time of the month, what you ate two days ago and how Mars is aligned with Jupiter. In other words, for any reason.

So, of course, I am thrilled to be lighter...so what could possibly be the bad news? NOTHING FITS! Don't get me wrong, I love to shop for clothes, but I just hate the thought of having to replace almost everything that I wear from the waist down (tops are still doing well because, unfortunately in my case, the girls didn't seem to lose any weight). So all the size 12 clothes that I had assembled and gathered and liked over the years now hang off my hips. Some things I can fudge, but some are beyond cinching or hiding with long shirts. I have to go shopping. Especially for jeans. Yuck, yuck, double yuck.

Other than buying a swimsuit, there is nothing worse than shopping for jeans. But as a SAHM, jeans are the most practical thing for me to wear. And with cooler temps coming (albeit several weeks away), I need to get some before I wake up one morning and realize that it isn't crops or capris weather anymore.

Today I have a PTO meeting at Aidan's school, errands to run and then lunch with James. I put on a casual skirt that I had not worn all summer and found that it now hangs about five inches below my waist; even with a longish top over it to try and hide the drop, the patch pockets in the back rest somewhere around where my thighs become my tookus. Not only am I far too old for the gangsta look, I don't think that look ever works with a tan chino skirt from Talbots.

So in between the "must do" errands today, I will try to pop into a store or two and start the painful process of buying jeans and fall pants. Remember me in your thoughts, will you?

1 comment:

Geri said...

Kudos on the weight loss, MaryAnne. Enjoy the clothing shopping spree. I'm looking forward to getting to my next goal so I can head to the US and get myself outfitted again.