Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thankful to be back

I do not like to travel on Thanksgiving, and most years I successfully avoid it. This year, however, with my mother on a bus trip with friends to San Antonio, we traveled to J's parents' house near Charlotte, NC. I did insist that we would NOT drive up on Wednesday with everyone else in the world; instead we left our house early on Thanksgiving morning. I was still surprised at how much traffic there was on a holiday.

I had set my expectations very low for the trip, which I always do when family - either his or mine - is involved. That way, I am rarely disappointed or surprised. Overall, the visit wasn't too bad.

Thanksgiving dinner was held at the home of J's oldest brother, Rick. Rick and his wife, Maureen, are both physicians and moved into their new house within the past year. Their 10,000 square foot house. I like them both and don't begrudge them anything - they have, after all, studied long and hard, and work very hard in their practices - so if they want to live in a 10,000 square foot house with every bell and whistle known to man, then good for them!

I don't, however, particularly care for their choices and I do not envy them in the least. As Rick showed me through room after massive room, my father's voice sounded in my head: "This is a vulgar display of new wealth, a monument to excess." And I agree. It's as though they chose to include every option available with no thought as to whether or not they could really use it. The house and its contents are simply too much for me. I do envy the large size of their kitchen and some of the kitchen appliances, and my clothes really want to live in one of their walk-in closets, but that was really all that I coveted.

Several members of Maureen's family were visiting from Pennsylvania, and I enjoyed talking and drinking with them. The food was good as was the company, so all in all Thanksgiving, while not my choice of how to spend it, was pleasant.

Friday was a blur of whiney cousins and mediocre food, and then we drove back to Georgia on Saturday to our modest 1,800 square foot house. It may not be as large or as posh as Rick and Maureen's house, but it suits us and our lifestyle, and it certainly suits our budget! I just hope that my handbags and shoes never hear about the walk-in closet of my dreams...

No comments: