Monday, October 11, 2010

LaFayette Apple Festival

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gorgeous - deep blue skies, bright sunshine, just right temperatures - and perfect weather for the LaFayette Apple Festival. When we arrived yesterday morning at the opening time of 9 am, the line of cars waiting to park already stretched out to Route 20. We were hungry, so we first found some breakfast. Unfortunately the vendor was already out of apple pancakes, so we settled for apple donuts and sausage:


James and I enjoyed browsing the many arts and crafts vendors - some good, some not so good - but Aidan was all about the tractors on display. He was thrilled that he could climb up in the cab of a huge John Deere:


The back tires of the tractor were taller than Aidan:


Speaking of large, there was a display of gargantuan pumpkins. This one, at 750 pounds, was not nearly the largest one:


Can you imagine the number of pies or toasted pumpkins seeds it would yield?

We rode in a cart pulled by these two gorgeous Percheron horses:


I liked the display of scarecrows and while I have no idea which one won, this Medusa was my favorite; I am quite sure that is what I look like before my first cup of coffee in the morning:


We left the festival and drove by Beak and Skiff to pick apples:


We picked Jonagolds and Empire apples, both of which are very tasty. The drive home was beautiful and just outside of B'ville, we stopped at a farm to pick up some pumpkins. I don't know if they will last until carving time but in the meantime, they look pretty and festive sitting on the front porch.

No comments: