Sunday, October 11, 2009

Never underestimate the power of a good haircut

It has been a rough couple of weeks for me. Oh, who am I kidding, it's really been a rough couple of years for me. But the last few weeks have been tougher than usual and I have felt my old nemeses, the demons of depression, creeping up on me.

After Aidan was born, I developed postpartum depression. What a rude surprise, given that I had never experienced depression prior to that time. It took a compassionate pediatrician kicking my butt and a multi-month regimen of Prozac to get me back to my old self, but the doctor warned me that I would thereafter be prone to depression.

She wasn't kidding.

At least now I recognize when the demons are creeping up and I know what to do: I can either try to drive them away using my superhero powers or, if there are too many of them and the threat is too great, I can temporarily use pharmaceutical weapons. Last week I decided that I would try to beat them using brute strength and try to avoid the med route. I am kind of doing tough love on myself, thinking that if I act like I am doing well, then maybe I will start feeling well.

So far, it is working and I am feeling better…and it also helps that I FINALLY got a decent haircut on Friday! It is a long [translation: boring] story of how I found Randy, but thank goodness I did find him. He gave me the best haircut I have had since leaving Raleigh over four years ago. I feel as chic as a forty-ish small-town mom can probably feel and, more importantly, I can style it well myself!

Of course, I am annoyed that I found Randy just as I am exiting the area but at least I will exit with a great 'do.

1 comment:

Geri said...

Post some photos!!!!

I was wondering what what up with you last week. Glad you're feeling better.