Monday, December 8, 2008

Chickens and porta-pottys

Small towns can be unique little places, with unusual people, happenings and things. Saturday evening's Christmas parade in Senoia was a good example.

We like Senoia, a town even smaller than the town in which we live; its little downtown reminds us of downtown Apex, NC. They are doing their best to revitalize their downtown by filling the vacant storefronts with restaurants, shops and service providers. We go there regularly to buy coffee from the Senoia Coffee Co. - we can't start our day without a cup (or two) of their Mocha Java!

Saturday was Light Up Senoia, where they closed downtown to car traffic. There were food vendors, a special store for children to buy gifts, and all the shops were decorated for the season. The parade started around 5:30, led off by police cruisers and a fire truck. What followed was, for the most part, typical small-town parade fare: baton twirlers, Shriners, old cars, a marching band, Cub Scouts and Brownies riding on flat bed “floats”. Strangely enough, no pageant queens.

When the local 4-H Poultry Club went by with cages full of chickens on their float, I thought I had seen it all…until a porta-potty went by! Yes, some company/group decorated a porta-potty with lights and put it on their float! I laughed until I stopped, then I started laughing again. Our friend Dave took a photo and if he sends it to me as he promised, I will post it here as proof. What a hoot!

No comments: