Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Here leezard leezard leezard

After Aidan gets home from school, he has a snack and then does his homework, under my supervision. Homework for a first grader consists of studying spelling words, completing a page or two of math problems and a few pages from his reading workbook, and reading a story or book. It usually takes him thirty minutes or so.

He walked into the sun room to get a pencil for his math homework and shrieked. I went out there to see why he shrieked and he was laughing at a little lizard, running across the floor. Aidan said "My foot was straight over it when I saw it!" The lizard was about four inches long, about half of which seemed to be tail. Wow, could he move fast! Because of the lovely mild temperatures most of the day, I had the windows open until mid-afternoon and I suspect that he crawled in around one of the window screens.

I got a plastic cup from the kitchen and we chased him around the perimeter of the sun room until we finally cornered him, and got him into the cup. Aidan took him outside to let him go and we watched him skitter away.

And where was Spenser all this time? No idea, but I am rather glad he was nowhere to be found...I didn't want the lizard to get hurt nor did I want to later clean up regurgitated lizard.

Later I looked online and found out that our visitor is a five-lined skink:


So...is a promiscuous skink a skanky skink?

2 comments:

Geri said...

Of course it brings back memories of the iguana that met its untimely demise on our tour of some Caribbean isle or other.

Skreek (sound of brakes)! Iguana! Beep, beep, vroom, vroom (sound of a van passing us and squashing the iguana).

Ewwwwwww (we all chorused in unison)!

MaryAnne said...

Ha ha! Poor little, er, medium-sized iguana...