Aidan started back to school yesterday and I couldn't be happier - we were both so ready for it. We were pleased to learn last week that he has the teacher we requested back in the spring, which I did not think would happen. When talking with other mothers about first grade teachers, only one name came up as THE teacher to get, that she was wonderful, yada yada yada, so we decided to request Mrs. M.
Last Thursday afternoon was the Meet the Teacher event, where we got to meet Mrs. M, her para-professional Mrs. D, and to see the classroom before it is wrecked by 19 first grade students. I was surprised to see that only one child from Aidan's kindergarten class is in his first grade class (and also frankly surprised that child was promoted to first grade); the class next door has seven of his former K classmates. But Aidan is a friendly child and will have no problems making friends in his new class.
We bought a new backpack and a new lunch box, but I am holding off on buying many items of clothing for fall. He will continue to wear shorts and short sleeve t-shirts until well until October and I never know when a growth spurt will hit, so I will wait to buy long pants and long sleeve shirts for at least a little while. I did pick up a denim jacket from eBay, so he will have a light layer to wear once it gets a bit cool in the mornings.
I did not have to go shopping for school supplies - the school PTO contracts with a company that offers packages of supplies based on the teachers' requests. These packages are sold in the spring and the box o' supplies is waiting in your child's classroom come the start of school. I chose the buy the package so that I did not have to get the supply list a few weeks before the start of school, then go to three or four different stores to buy the exact brand and type of item on the list. James was dubious but I can tell you after last year's experience with the supply list, it was well worth it in terms of time, money and gas.
Aidan was eager to get out the door yesterday morning and to the bus stop. When I met him at the bus yesterday afternoon, he will all smiles and said that he had a "great" day. He was excited about his teachers, his classmates, art class, lunch...you name it, he liked it.
And me? I spent my first day of freedom cleaning the house and doing laundry. Not so thrilling, but I did it in peace and still had some time left to knit!
No comments:
Post a Comment