Sunday, June 29, 2008

A moment of silence. Please?

During the summer when school is out and particularly on summer weekends, there seems to never be a waking moment in this house when it is quiet. I would like to say that it is all due to Aidan, but it is not...James is just as bad, if not worse! He cannot read the newspaper without commenting out loud or reading it to me, or surf the Internet without chatting, or even watch television without making comments every few minutes. No wonder I can hardly concentrate on anything - I am not given the opportunity.

And it is not just that one or both of them is always talking, it is also that they talk LOUDLY. I cannot seem to get the two of them to understand that every conversation - particularly between people who are located right next to each other - does not have to be conducted at the top of their lungs.

So what I treasure most is the rare moments when I can enjoy the silence. Most days, that only occurs in those few minutes when I am in the shower! Do you think they will get suspicious if I start taking seven or eight showers a day?


1 comment:

Geri said...

I find Fred's comments while reading the paper particularly annoying when I'm trying to read another section of the paper myself. I also like it kinda quiet first thing in the morning - which is when I read the paper.

I also take long walks. It's mostly an attempt to improve my fitness level and hopefully lose some weight but I get to be by myself and away from the house. Lately, I've been enjoying podcasts and books on CD which I've put on my iPod. I look forward now to heading out for my 40 - 50 min. walk each day.

And I escape to somewhere else in the house.