Life is good. Today I received wonderful, wonderful news - my friend Kathy in North Carolina is the proud new mother of baby Gabriel Owen, who arrived in the world today weighing 6 pounds, 7 ounces.
A new baby is usually a happy event, but the arrival of this baby boy is truly joyous. About two and a half years ago, Kathy delivered a baby boy at about 18 weeks into the pregnancy; little Owen lived only a very short time. Kathy and her husband, Doug, were understandably devastated. This pregnancy has been very difficult, and Kathy's Multiple Sclerosis added another element of risk and unpredictability, but they were determined and Kathy was under the constant care of a physician who specializes in high risk pregnancies.
I admire Kathy and Doug's courage to try again and I was so frightened that they would have their hearts broken, again. Kathy and I have had so many interesting email conservations in the last few years about grief and faith, and we have shared many suggestions on books and resources. Oddly enough, as my faith has waned, hers has grown and we have talked much about the whys and hows of our respective experiences.
So today, my heart is full of joy, gladness and relief for a family that now numbers THREE. Welcome to the world, Gabriel Owen!
No comments:
Post a Comment