Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Blood, sweat and tears

Well, just the blood part. I have been giving blood on a semi-regular basis since I was in college. I find it very odd that although I am a very squeamish person and the sight of blood makes me quite woozy, giving blood does not bother me a bit. I don't watch the needle go into my arm or anyone else's arm, but it really does not bother me.

I give blood at the big honking first United Methodist church in town, because they schedule blood drives every three months or so and I can give regularly. They have a nice open gymnasium in which they hold the drive and no one pesters me about attending the church. I once went to a different church right around the corner from our house and the people there kept wanting to recruit me for membership and even sent the pastor over to talk to me. Ack!

But the thing that drives me loony at this blood drive site is that they always have a television loudly playing The Andy Griffith Show. Continuously. Did I mention loudly? And because there were a lot of people there this past Sunday and it took longer than usual to make my way through the process, I had to hear that insipid whistling theme song more times than I ever thought humanly possible to endure. I have never had any desire to watch that show and my experience at these blood drives has cemented my aversion.

When I sat down at one holding area, a man next to me saw me roll my eyes when the theme song started up, yet again, and guessed correctly why; he then showed me the iPod tucked into his pocket. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? That was a big ol' duh on my part, to be sure.

You can be sure that in April when I next go to donate blood, my Christmas iPod Shuffle will be with me, loaded with my favorite NPR shows. Giving blood will be a lot less painful that way.

1 comment:

Geri said...

What a great idea!!